Here we go, heading into fall y'all. Anyone going apple picking? Or just feeling like they should be cooking with apples? (lol)
Usually I'm eating apples with almond butter as a snack. But, here's an even better idea!
- 1 gluten-free pizza crust (or I like to use 2 brown rice tortillas doubled up!)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 granny smith apples, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 handfuls arugula
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3 ounces goat cheese (optional)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare and bake gluten-free pizza crust according to instructions (if you are using brown rice tortillas, just heat them for a few minutes until they are warm and crispy!)
- In a skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add salt and pepper and apples and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, slowly bring the vinegar to a simmer over medium-low heat. Whisking constantly, keep it at a low simmer (do not boil!!) until the volume is reduced by half and the vinegar starts to thicken, about 8-10 minutes.
- Spoon goat cheese into a bowl (if using) and add a splash of water so it's spreadable.
- When the pizza crust (or tortilla) is removed from the oven, immediately add toppings in the following order to build your pizza:
- Goat cheese spread OR lightly brush with olive oil
- Caramelized onion and apple mixture
- 2 handfuls of arugula
- balsamic reduction drizzle (you don't have to use all of it, just what feels right!)